This recipe for Smoked Mussels comes from Community Shellfish in Bremen, Maine.
Recipe provided by
- 1 pound Bangs Island Mussels (cleaned & debearded)Shop
- 4 ounces sliced Chorizo sausage
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 1/2 cup oregano
- 2 roasted beefsteak tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 ounces dry white wine
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Chopped fresh parsley
- Maine Sea Salt and pepper to taste
- Serves: 1-2, Main Course
Start by thoroughly rinsing and debearding about 2 pounds of fresh Maine mussels, discarding any that appear cracked or chipped and any that won’t close. Steam them in about an inch of salted water. Let them cool… and then shell them.
Smoke the mussels on the grill using a cup of wood chips soaked in water. Wrap the wet chips up loosely in aluminum foil, leaving the top open for the smoke to escape and place the packet directly on the coals. Smoke the mussels to taste…about 3-5 minutes. Eat right away with your favorite dipping sauce.